M.E./CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – see here ) already has a lot of stigma and judgement surrounding it, so it’s no wonder people often make comments or suggestions that make us want to pull our hair out. And they are probably things you’ve heard over and over again, and still no one seems to get it.
I’ve whittled down the things I have heard (and have made my eyes roll so much they’ve nearly fallen out of their sockets) to give you this article.
- We all get tired – what makes it so different for you?
- I don’t believe in M.E./CFS whatsoever.
- Are you sure you’re not just lazy?
- I’d love to spend as much time sleeping/resting as you!
- If you’re so tired why are you out today?
- If I realised you could get signed off work just for being tired, I’d have done that ages ago.
- Hmm, you don’t look tired to me…
- I think you just need to increase your exercise tolerance.
- I think you need to adjust your mindset to one that is more positive…
- It sounds like an excuse for laziness to me…
- At least it’s nothing serious and won’t do you any harm!
- If you’re on anti-depressants for it, then doesn’t that just mean you’re just depressed?
- It must just be in your head.
- Isn’t that a disease they can’t even prove you’ve got? Sounds like a fob-off to me.
- It must be hard to stay in bed all day…
- Oh I know someone who had that and they cured themselves but doing (insert here).
- Are you sure you can cope with (insert activity here)?
- It must be great to have a reduced load at work!
- I bet you spend all your days off doing things you enjoy – I know I would!
- If you can do that then why can’t you do this?
To read more articles in this series;